As an Islamic institution, ISB supports the local community by disbursing Zakah to in-need Muslim community members. ISB accepts requests for financial assistance from any Muslim that is zakat-eligible (generally in extreme poverty or financial hardship) and is a good standing member of the local ISB community.
The Zakat Assistance Application form is available on our website: isb.org/Services/zakah/. Applications must be completed in its entirety with all supporting documentation to initiate a Zakat/Financial Assistance request. Please note that the office will not be able to accept or review any incomplete applications.
- All applications must be submitted by the applicant in person at the ISB office during business hours. Electronic submissions are not be accepted and ISB is not responsible for the loss or misuse of any sensitive information submitted via email.
- Applicant must be a Muslim of good community standing and must not have any criminal record or convictions within the past 3 years. ISB will conduct a criminal background check for each applicant.
- Applicant is responsible for reporting all Zakat assistance income to the IRS and other government agencies for any tax and legal reporting purposes.
- Applicants may only apply for Zakat assistance once in a six month period.
- You authorize the Islamic Society of Baltimore to share, report and verify information provided on this form for the purposes of this request with any local, state and federal organizations, including other Islamic organizations and Mosques as needed.
- The decision made by the Zakat Committee will be final. If you enter an email address below, you will be notified of the application status once a decision has been made.
- Please allow at least 10 business days for the Zakat Committee to review and process your application. The ISB office will not have any status on your application before this time.
The following supporting documents MUST be attached to the application:
- Copy of a valid government issued photo ID (i.e. Driver’s License, Passport)
- Copy of Social Security Card or another form of government issued ID.
- Copy of any outstanding bills for living expenses (rent, utilities, medical, etc)
- Proof of all current income, or if no income then a statement on how you plan to provide for your expenses in the future if your application is approved.
- If you are not from the local ISB area zip codes (21227, 21228, 21229, 21244, 21207, 21208), you must provide a letter from your local Masjid Imam or Director stating their inability to help and referring your case to the Islamic Society of Baltimore for consideration. The letter should be on the organizations letterhead and signed.
- If you have any type of previous criminal record or have extenuating personal circumstances and are seeking any exception by the Zakat Committee, please detail your request on a separate sheet of paper and list two additional references below from the local ISB community that can verify your case.